Sepia Saturday 163: 9 February 2013

The Springs Chalet Mt Wellington Tasmania c 1949

Isn't this picturesque?

The back of the photo reads:

"This is the Springs Chalet up Mt Wellington where I walked and had afternoon tea. There was no snow at the Chalet at the time except on the Mountain at back similar to the other photo No. 1"
 I have no idea what Photo No. 1 is.  And I'm not sure whose handwriting this is.  It doesn't look like Gran's and it doesn't look like my father's.  I'll have to ask him.

These photos are in one of my father's albums.

Here is another photo of his mother in the snow.  
The caption underneath the photo in the album read "Puss in Boots"

Ethel Conner nee Carrett Mt Wellington c 1949

 And the back of the photo says "On top of Mt Wellington"

I think they went to Tasmania for a holiday after his brother died.

Some of the photos are dated 20 July 1947 on the back so I think maybe his mother and his older brother Ted went to Tasmania for a holiday.  Once again I must ask.

Sadly I think the Chalet was destroyed by a bushfire in 1967 according to a Wikipaedia article.

We don't get much snow where I live now in Sunny Queensland, Australia.  

If you're lucky you might get a bit at Stanthorpe but that's about it.

When I was younger we lived in some snowy climes.

Barbara Conner nee McLoughlin and Alex November 1962
This photo would have been taken by my father.  On the back it says:

 "Barb and Alex in the snow out at the new town of Cumbenauld.  This was taken back in November of last year when had our first snow.  As you can see Alex was not quite sure what it was all about - however, she knows all about it now.  Our snow has still not thawed out completely."

I like this photo too.  This was when we were living in Scotland.  My father was studying for his PhD in Town and Country Planning.   

I looked at the films referenced in the Wikipaedia article and they are fantastic.  One of them was made in 1963 so gives a real sense of the time.





My mother always loved the light when it snowed and was a keen photographer.  
Here she is in Leura in the Blue Mountains of New South Wales, Australia 
probably around 1990.

Barbara Conner nee McLoughlin Leura c 1990

Barbara Conner backyard 49 Olympian Parade Leura



When I think about it, I don't think I have seen snow since I was about 18 - some thirty odd years ago now.  

I remember it being very...wet.

Thanks to Alan Burnett and Kat Mortensen for the inspiration for this post at the Sepia Saturday blog.

Comments

Bob Scotney said…
I didn't expect to see snow from Tasmania today. Cumbernauld - well I can vouch for snow in Glasgow in the 1950s when I was on a student trip from St Andrews.
I enjoyed all of your pictures very much, Alex. Sometimes snow is wet and heavy, making it miserable. Here in Central Oregon, ours is usually dry and that makes it much more bearable.

Kathy M.
Kristin said…
I especially like the photo of your mother standing outside in the snow in her brown skirt and coat and the little pointy hood. The one of you looking at her with that puzzled look, wondering just what that white, wet stuff is.
Anonymous said…
I haven't lived where there is much snow since I was 16. I remember loving short bursts of time playing in the snow and then being ready to take off my cold, wet socks, mittens and pants, warm up with some hot chocolate and go back for more after a rest. Puss and Boots has no boots!
21 Wits said…
I live in one of those snowy frozen tundra-lands (and I'm so ready for spring) great photos, I'd enjoy a stay at the first one! Nice family photos too.
Brett Payne said…
I like the Kombi, but I bet it didn't handle the snowy roads very well. Great photos in the spirit of the image prompt, thanks for sharing them.
Gorgeous photos Alex! I thought the Mt Wellington chalet was an interesting mix of old and new worlds.
Lovely's Blot said…
I have a friend who lives in Queensland who is so fed up with the heat he has gone Skiing in Canada for a week! Lovely pictures.
Little Nell said…
A wonderful set of photos Alex and the ones with you as a youngster are especially charming.

Do you think you could consider switching off word verification and relying on comment moderation? It does make commenting very difficult and frustrating. Now you've joined our esteemed FB group you could scroll back and read the thread about our thoughts on the matter. Give me a shout if you need any help.
Alan Burnett said…
What a wonderful tour around your family history - driven onwards by snow but all the photographs seem to demonstrate such happiness and style.
Alex Daw said…
Hi Little Nell - Thanks for your feedback. I have switched off word verification as you suggest. Hope that makes life easier for you :)
Alex Daw said…
Hi Alan - Thanks for your feedback and the inspiration! :)
Alex Daw said…
Hi Bob - I confess to having to "google" Cumbernauld - which is just as well I did as I certainly couldn't decipher my father's handwriting properly!
Alex Daw said…
Hi Kathy - Thanks for your comment. I can't wait to hear from my son what snow in Japan is like when he gets back on Friday.
Alex Daw said…
Dear Kristin - That is absolutely my favourite photo of my mother. She has such a little girl look about her doesn't she - so very happy.
Alex Daw said…
Dear Kathy - Yes I agree - Puss in Boots' boots - well they just look like shoes to me. I went skiing once in the Snowy Mountains for a week and loved getting back to the lodge and taking off all the wet clothes and warming up by the fire. I was amazed how I could eat a Mars Bar when I was skiing and not feel sick. Normally I am flat out eating half a Mars bar - if that.
Alex Daw said…
Dear Karen - Springs Chalet does look fabulous doesn't it? I'd have liked to stay there too.
Alex Daw said…
Dear Brett - yes the dear old Kombi - I loved that car - I called it the "Daddy car" in a very sexist two year old sort of way.
Alex Daw said…
Dear Pauleen - now of course I want you to expand on this - particularly the new world bit....cause to my untrained eye I think it all looks old but I s'pose there are give-away bits that are new...which bits Pauleen ?
Alex Daw said…
Hello Lovely - Ooh I would love to go to Canada - that would be the best fun I reckon. I have a very dear friend who lives there and I would like to see her. It's been too long. Now, I just have to save lots of money!
anyjazz said…
Fine photograph collection and memories. Thanks!
Personally,
I don't remember seeing snow since...
5 minutes ago!!!
:D~
A child's first snow is like his/her first chocolate cake,
a great experience, but only to be forgotten too soon.
Nice pics!!
:)~
HUGZ
Little Nell said…
Well done Alex, but it's not just me :) Let me know if there are problems arising from it. On second thoughts, talk to your new friend in the SS Facebook group.

Second tip: when you add your URL to Mr Linky try to make it post-specific, i.e. copy and paste the entire URL (including your post title). This makes it easier for late commenters to find you without scrolling back through your most recent (non SS) posts. I did the same when I first started and people were too polite to point it out. It was ages before I realised! If you want to contact me you can e-mail me. It's rare that I check back on contributors' original posts once I've commented as there are too many others to see.
Alex Daw said…
Thanks Little Nell - it is interesting - as soon as I switched off word verification I started to get spam comments but at least I can delete them.
Alex Daw said…
Dear Ticklebear - thank you for your kind comment and warm welcome to the group!
The very least I could do.
As I've just stated on Fb,
I am going back to my reciprocity policy,
you visit me, I visit you.
You'll see, unless they think of you as worthy of them,
that some will not respond to your comments, and even less visit your blog. Again, unless you fall into their graces.
Good luck to you!! SS can be a fun experience. Just don't let "those" spoil it for you.
:)~
BRUNO aka TICKLEBEAR

Popular posts from this blog

31 Things to do in August for National Family History Month

NFHM Blogging Challenge - Week 1

Merry Month of May Movie Meme