Fab Feb Photo Collage Day 21

Emma Taylor nee Case c 1930s


Oops - I'm a day late with this one.  

This is one of those frustrating photos.  There's nothing written on the back.  

It's a photo of a photo - again.

I think it is of Emma Taylor nee Case - my maternal grandfather's maternal grandmother - my 2nd great grandmother.

Emma was born 2 January 1855 at Gundaroo, NSW.  

Her parents were Thomas Case and Maria Mussel.   

At the age of twenty-one she married John Thomas Taylor 7 May 1876 at the Wesleyan Church Yass.  John was described as a labourer on the marriage certificate but a year later on his daughter's certificate he was described as a farmer.

 They had I think at least nine children.  Their eldest, Margaret, married John McLoughlin.  Margaret and John were my grandfather's parents.

Emma died in 1936 at the age of 81.  My father's papers contain a photocopy of a document I have never seen before which is called "Notice of Signing of Medical Certificate of Cause of Death".  It shows that Emma Taylor died at 11 Irene Street Abbotsford 12 March 1923.  It gives the name and address of the Medical Practitioner - but that is all.

This in turn is backed up by a funeral notice in Trove here.

So she died at her daughter's home and we now know that she was buried at Rookwood in the Church of England cemetery - somewhere near my mother I hope.
 
There are quite a few descendants from this family tracing the family's history.  I have been in contact with at least half a dozen so far.  

I realize that while I have Emma's birth, baptismal and marriage certificates that I need to order her death certificate which will give me more information about her children.

In summary - I don't know where or when this photo was taken but I am guessing in the 1930s somewhere in Sydney.

Comments

Kristin said…
Her hair looks so thick and wavy. Nice!
Alex Daw said…
It does doesn't it Kristin. By the way...I found another copy of this photo with my Mother's handwriting on the back of it saying "Emma Case 12.3.36 (died)" - Phew - my memory served me well.
Kristin said…
Have to love the writing on the photos. It's so lovely.

Popular posts from this blog

31 Things to do in August for National Family History Month

NFHM Blogging Challenge - Week 1

Merry Month of May Movie Meme