Y is forYouTube #AtoZchallenge

 

 

Welcome to Day 25 of the  #AtoZChallenge.  Don't know what the AtoZChallenge is? Find out more here.

My theme is about Family History Societies.  What they are, How they work, Who is in them, Why they exist.

And which ones begin with Y !  

Societies beginning with Y

 
 

Family Organizations beginning with Y (Family Search Wiki) 

Y is for YouTube

Who hasn't consulted YouTube when they're stuck for knowledge?  As a Librarian I used it all the time; for my own use and to recommend to patrons.  
 
My husband uses it when he has computer problems or wants to know how to fix the car or lawnmower.  I use it for refreshing my memory on knitting techniques or for inspiration.  As a university student you may have noticed that libraries make use of YouTube to guide their students in the use of the catalogue or how to navigate their way around the course management software.  
 
It is an invaluable learning tool and one that your Society should make use of.  At the recent FHDU conference, Susie Zada extolled the virtues of video for Societies to survive in this day and age.  You can register for her free presentation Video Magic here
 
QFHS has its own YouTube channel with handy instructional videos for how to search our online databases effectively. It also has a video commemorating our 40th Anniversary.  Great stuff but I'm sure we could be doing more.
 
Does your Society use Video or YouTube? How do you use it? What do you use it for? 

We're getting to the end of our AtoZchallenge.  Thanks so much for taking the time to visit regularly and cheer me on.  I'm conscious that I will have missed stacks of information from this theme.  If you have any suggestions for how it could be improved I'd be delighted to receive your feedback.  I am indebted to the Australian Federation of Family History Organisations, the Federation of Family History Societies, the National Genealogical Society and Family Search's Wiki which informed these blog posts.  

It's our last day tomorrow. Are You Yelling for joy?



 

Comments

I confess I hadn’t thought of a YouTube channel for a society but I suspect I underuse YouTube generally. You’ve built up some thought-provoking posts for societies to adapt and improve their outreach. Thanks Alex, and yes, I am yelling for joy with my last post already scheduled. YAY!!
crgalvin said…
Y for you have done a brilliant job in this challenge. So many things to consider I’ll have to reread to get the best out of your posts. Thank you!
I have been using YouTube more and more both on my blog and my professional work.
I am not sure if I want to post things to YouTube yet. That's a bit of a different game.
--
Tim Brannan, The Other Side: 2021: The A to Z of Monsters
Alex Daw said…
Hi Pauleen, Carmel and Timothy - thank you all for reading this blog post and for your thoughtful comments. Pauleen - yay for us I say :) I think YouTube is just brilliant for the How of things. I just need to get smarter at making How videos :)

Carmel - thank you for your very kind comment and all your lovely feedback. This theme wouldn't have been so good without all my lovely genea-friends adding to it.

Timothy - you are a trooper for visiting my blog. I shall be sure to come and check out your monsters. Yes watching and posting are two entirely different beasts aren't they?
Jennifer Jones said…
I wonder how we ever survived without YouTube. It’s my favourite ‘go to’ when I want to know how to do something. Students today are very lucky being able to get info on how use the library on YouTube. That would have been invaluable. Looking forward to your Z post tomorrow
Molly's Canopy said…
YouTube has been a lifesaver for me during this A to Z challenge -- I could not believe how many videos I found from my early teen years (1963-65), many of which I added to my blog posts. Like you, I also enjoy the "how to" and "out of the box" and "how to cut your own hair" videos -- but had not though of gen societies using them. That's a new area for me to search when the A to Z Challenge ends. https://mollyscanopy.com/2021/04/youth-job-at-the-altamont-fair-atozchallenge/
Alex Daw said…
Hi Jennifer and Molly - thank you for dropping by. Jennifer, YouTube is just fantastic isn't it?

Molly - you've had a lot of fun with YouTube this year with the challenge. I've really enjoyed a view into your musical history. I think YouTube is coming into its own now for gen societies what with all the webinars we've been offering. It's like the last frontier for us I think.
GeniAus said…
Youtube is an underrated genealogy resource. I've made a couple of videos for our FHG but hadn't thought of putting them on Youtube for our Group. I might just do that!

Popular posts from this blog

31 Things to do in August for National Family History Month

NFHM Blogging Challenge - Week 1

Merry Month of May Movie Meme