E is for Events and Energy #AtoZChallenge

 

Welcome to Day 5 of the  #AtoZChallenge.  
 
Don't know what the AtoZChallenge is? Find out more here.

My theme is about Family History Societies.  What they are, How they work, Who is in them, Why they exist.
Let's check out which societies begin with E.

Societies beginning with E

East of London Family History Society

East Surrey Family History Society

East Yorkshire Family History Society

Eastbourne & District (Family Roots) FHS

Essex Society for Family History 

Whilst strictly speaking not a genealogical or family history society, Family Search has alerted me to the following types of organizations.  They are a bit like a Surname or One Name group, I guess. 

Many of these are just on Facebook, I suspect.  Is that the future direction of family history societies I wonder.  Just a social media presence without a physical presence?

Family Associations

Edens

Eller

Elmore

Elswick

Everett (e)

Clan Ewing

 

Events

One of the things I like best about my Society, QFHS, is the events or education program.  I am a lifelong learner and am constantly impressed by the amazing talks that are put on regularly for members.  Non-members can attend too. They just have to pay a bit more.  QFHS really leapt into the breach when COVID came along and adopted Zoom with a passion.  

 


They also took a pro-active approach when many of our less digital-savvy members didn't know how to connect and offered one-on-one coaching via phone.  It's not important to have a camera for Zoom.  Sometimes you don't want to see what I'm wearing or how messy my study is!  And as a longtime Radio afficionado, sometimes it's easier just to listen to a talk if you have to get other stuff done like cooking dinner or tidying up that messy study.

 


 

Energy

It takes a lot of energy to run a Society.  Don't try and do it all on your own.  Ask for help. Share the load.  I am interested to see how many people it takes to run a Society.  How many members do you have that play a role in your group?  We have at least 40 if not more.  That's for a membership of about 1,000.   Where do you think the greatest energy or effort goes into a Society? Where should it go? 
 
I love the members of a Society who demonstrate enthusiasm.  It is absolutely infectious.

Thanks for taking the time to swing by my little blog.  I hope you found something interesting or edifying.  How are you going with the challenge?

 

Comments

My energy levels has packed up and left. But I agree societies have lots to offer, especially for newbies.
Alex Daw said…
Thank you Emily ! Pauleen, I am not surprised regarding your energy. I don't know how you do it all. Don't forget to recharge will you ? Or just do something for yourself. I forget to do my own family history sometimes and then wonder where my mojo has gone.
I'm with you on events. So many of the Gen societies I belong to have taken to Zoom, allowing me to attend many more events than before the pandemic. Here's hoping they continue online een when we can meet in person! https://mollyscanopy.com/
crgalvin said…
I'll have so many family history societies to check out by the time you get to Z, will probably take me 'til next April!

Popular posts from this blog

31 Things to do in August for National Family History Month

NFHM Blogging Challenge - Week 1

Merry Month of May Movie Meme