B is for Board, Buddies, Blog and Bookshop #AtoZChallenge

 


Welcome to Day 2 of the A-Z Blogging Challenge for April.  To find out more about the blogging challenge click here

My theme for this month is Family History Societies: What does it take to run one?  What do they do?  Who is in a Society and why? What kind of societies are there?  Are Societies relevant in this day and age?

B is for Board, Buddies, Blog and Bookshop.

Let's deal with the Board first.  

 

Our meeting room isn't this swish...in fact we meet via Zoom!

Now "Board" can be quite a controversial term.  Perhaps you don't even know what I am talking about.  The Board is the group that manages the Society on behalf of the Members.  Our Board at QFHS is called a Management Committee.  Same thing really.  But perhaps not.

In Queensland the Associations Incorporation Act has been modernized and reviewed by the Associations and Incorporation and other Legislation Amendment Act 2020, some of which came into effect last year and some of which won't come into effect later this year and again next year. The suggested terminology for Management Committee is now Board which may sound pretentious to some, but to others may give a sense of the responsibility board or management committee members undertake when they join.  The goal of the review is to improve the internal governance standards.  

So, for example, the Secretary must now be aged 18 years or older.  Things like the expected standard of duty of care and diligence have been clarified. Disclosure of personal interest and having a proper grievance procedure will be mandated. 

According to the constitution of QFHS which is the Society of which I am a member and a Management Committee member, our Management Committee consists of a President, one or two Vice-Presidents, a Secretary, a Treasurer, all of whom must be members of the Society "and such numbers of other members, being not less than five (5)".  We usually have more than that.  Currently we have six of us in addition to the President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer.  We also have a position of Minutes Secretary which is vital. This is what our Constitution says are the functions:

The Management Committee shall a) have the general control and management of the administration of the affairs, property and funds of the Society; and (b)shall have authority to interpret the meaning of these Rules and any matter relating to the Society on which these Rules are silent.
Our Management Committee meets at least once a month.  There's a lot to discuss.  We have to approve new members to the Society, discuss the budget, future directions, our premises, how the place is running, respond to things like COVID and so on. 
 
B, as you can imagine, is for Busy too :)
 
But in case you find all this discussion of Boards somewhat Boring, I invite you to consider why people might join a Society or one of the Benefits they find after joining a Society: Buddies!
 
We all know that meme on Facebook of the guy at the BBQ trying to talk Family History with his friends....he's sitting alone on a swing looking glum.  No-one wants to know.  What unmitigated joy to join a Family History Society and find others as obsessed as you and as excited as you when they talk about the exploits of their ancestors or getting a certificate at last :) 
 
QFHS thinks buddies are so important that they have set up a Buddy program to help newbies settle in and find their feet.  You can read all about it here.
 
Some Societies share their members' stories on a Blog which I think is a brilliant idea.  The Genealogical Society of Queensland has one here. It's a great way for members to put their toe in the water as it were and what's more, for those of us blog regularly, they might get some nibbles from cousins. 
 

Last but not least, your friendly family history society might have a Bookshop.  I always dreamed of owning a bookshop.  Working in libraries is the next best thing...actually it might be better ;)  When I first joined QFHS I eyed the trestle table full of enticing books longingly....and before I knew it, I was the bookshop convenor.  It was a great introduction to the Society and I got to know the suppliers (Gould Books) and publishers really well.  I started to get a handle on what people were after and realized that Societies who published often kept the wolf from the door in terms of finances.  QFHS has been a prolific publisher through the enormous efforts of a volunteer force who index, transcribe and now digitize like there's no tomorrow.   
 
I hope today's post has Broadened your mind about what a family history society does.  
 
Can you think of anything else to do with family history societies that begins with B?  How are you going with the A-Z challenge? 
 
Thank you for taking the time to comment. 

Comments

crgalvin said…
Books on our library shelves seem to attract less attention nowadays but friendship or buddies certainly are important. Hmm, Board is a very formal term for a friendly family history group, ours is still a management committee at this stage. A reliable booking system for events should probably be on our agenda too.
ScotSue said…
I was a member of the Borders (another B) FH Society in Scotland , covering the four old counties of south east Scotland - Berwickshire, Roxburghshire, Peeblesshire and Selkirkshire. I was on the Committee (our term for theManagement Board) for several years. The Society publishes a quarterly magazine, a blog and a substantial series of Monumental Inscriptions, plus has an office for research and exhibitions, staffed several days a week by volunteers. I don’t actually have any Borders Ancestry, but joined when I started to get serious about my family history and wanted to learn more and meet like minded enthusiasts. I liked your Buddy idea of welcoming and helping new members.
Alex Daw said…
Oh Carmel - yes. A booking system is so important isn't it? We use Eventbrite but it's not for everyone. Both library services I worked at used it. Of course it is hosted in the US so that may be an issue for some. And yes, I do think that the term "Board" may put some people off from volunteering to be on it. It may be too intimidating a term.
I like books, benefits and buddies better than anything that involves legalese...makes my eyes cross and reminds me of working days.
Alex Daw said…
Pauleen - I hear you. I hate the legal stuff. It takes a certain patience and attention to detail. I think you need to be in a very relaxed and objective state of mind to be able to see things clearly when they are written in legal jargon. I used to enjoy some of it when I was younger. Now I am less patient. When I studied Law for a second at Sydney Uni they made all of us study Constitutional Law in the first year. That weeded quite a few out first up. Public Law was a relief after that but I still flunked in the end. Italian, History and English led to much more interesting discussions.
GenieJen said…
So many B's! Yes, when I started in the 80's I learnt so much from my membership of the SA Genealogy soc. Now I only belong to a couple of societies in England and Ireland and one here - QFHS.
Alex Daw said…
Thank you for dropping by GenieJen. It's so lovely to have so many comments on my blog. You are a member of quite a few societies which is great to see. Over the years I've had a few memberships too; one in Scotland, one in Yass. I'd like to pursue more, funds willing :)
GeniAus said…
Blossom is a B word the comes to mind when I think of family history groups or societies. These organisations provide many opportunities for members to blossom and grow personally with education programs, social interaction, sharing research and taking leadership roles.
Alex Daw said…
Oh Jill you are so on the money here. I completely agree or that was certainly the experience for me. Thank you for such a beautiful word :)

Popular posts from this blog

31 Things to do in August for National Family History Month

NFHM Blogging Challenge - Week 1

Sepia Saturday: 31 August 2013