Sepia Saturday

 



Another quick one from me today.  All the photos of men in hats that I could find.



I've probably overshared this one.  Sorry.  My grandfather Tom McLoughlin and his niece Joy Jeffery (nee Wingfield) walking in Sydney city, possibly Castlereah Street somewhere near Martin Place.  Sydneysiders put me straight on this one.




A couple more from Tom's photo collection.  The woman in the first photo is my maternal grandmother Kit McLoughlin (nee Forfar).  No idea who the blokes are.  McLoughlin cousins please come to the rescue.  Is the woman in the second photo the witness to her marriage - Helen Reily?  I have no idea.  I never met or heard anything about Helen but I do think this was in courting days.



And this one from the other side of the family.  Not sure if I've shared this before.  I just love it.  It looks like it might be taken at a train or a bus station doesn't it?  Ted and Ethel CONNER (nee CARRETT) are in the middle and then there's Ethel's parents on either side, George Henry Charles CARRETT III and Daisy May (nee TAYLOR).  I'm guessing this is circa early 50s.  

For more men in hats or a cattleyard head here.

Comments

Barbara Rogers said…
So great to have those photos of your family...loved the bench last one.
Kathy said…
I love that last photo too. And it's three hats and one man smoking, so a perfect match!
Alex Daw said…
Barbara I know what you mean. There's something great about that photo isn't there? I think it is because it is relaxed. I'd love to know who took it and what the occasion was.
La Nightingail said…
A few things to focus on here - for me, anyway. Firstly, I love Joy's spectator pumps in the first photo. Secondly, several names here link with me except not necessarily ancestrally. I used to sing in a choral group with a fellow named Tom McLoughlin except I think he spelled his name McLaughlin. My husband's name is Kit (short for Christopher as in the famous western explorer, Kit Carson), and his paternal grandmother's name was Daisy May. Neat pictures! :)
Mike Brubaker said…
I'm fascinated by the evolution of hats. For women the fashion was important, and most women probably acquired several hats in different styles. But men? Maybe two for the hot\cold seasons. fashion choices? Black, grey, brown, maybe a charcoal mix. Did they ever get new ones? I suspect only when their old favorite disintegrated. But would they ever go anywhere without their hat? Never!
Virginia Allain said…
It seems most of my family photos of men are in family gatherings and nary a hat to be seen.

Popular posts from this blog

31 Things to do in August for National Family History Month

NFHM Blogging Challenge - Week 1

Merry Month of May Movie Meme