MondayMemorabilia - Preserving Family History



A family history buddy directed me to this blog post the other day which stung me into action on the scanning and digitising front.  Not sure how long this will last but my goal is to keep scanning memorabilia and digitise it and file it for successful retrieval.  

And so today, here are my mother's school reports and reports from Business College.  Nothing really remarkable to see here but it does provide a trail of where she was and when namely:


1949 - Petersham Girls Junior High School - 1st year or what we would call Grade 7 in Qld I guess. There is much improvement from the first half of the year to the second half of the year.  Mind you, she was absent for 16 days in the first half of the year. She was away for 14 days in the second half but maybe just had to get used to High School.  She did English, French, Maths I and Maths II, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Geography, Needlework and Art in the first half of the year with the addition of Music in the second half of the year.  I know she enjoyed choir.




1950 - Petersham Girls' Junior High School - 2nd year or Grade 8. No music this year.  Absent 12 days in the first half of the year and 39 days in the second half of the year. Goodness!  I wonder what was wrong.  That's like 8 weeks.  I don't remember her telling me that she was very sick when she was 14.  Despite that, she managed to keep it together 












1951 - Petersham Girls Junior High School - 3rd year. We only have a report for the first half of the year.




Now here is where I get confused because I thought she went to Fort Street Girls High.  This is what I think happened...

1952 - Fort Street (have yet to find documentary evidence)  4th year and then pulled out to go to Miss Hale's Model Business College halfway through the year.





1953 - first six months of the year at Miss Hale's Model Business College.  This then became the Metropolitan Business College I believe. 





After this, she went to work for an insurance company. And I think enrolled in night school at East Sydney Tech to study dress design (Note to self - see if you can get documentary evidence of this).


Here's an interesting article from Trove about that time....



My mother went back to school to complete her Higher School Certificate or matriculation in 1974 in Canberra.

Now I am by no means finished with today's work.  It occurs to me that future generations may not be able to read the handwriting, so perhaps I should transcribe these. Sigh.  They have now been put in protective sleeves but the digital copies also need to be filed. This is where I need to refine my filing system.  Do I file it under McLoughlin for while she was a child and then Conner after she is married?  Or do I keep everything together under Conner ?  All advice gratefully accepted.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

31 Things to do in August for National Family History Month

NFHM Blogging Challenge - Week 1

Merry Month of May Movie Meme