Sepia Saturday 488: 21st September 2019


I am having a great deal of difficulty staying on theme today.  Here is my photo which probably just scrapes in on the 30 years old Sepia Saturday rule; although the "rules" on Sepia Saturday have always really just been guidelines with plenty of room for wriggle.


Jim and Alex en route to Melbourne circa 1990

I'm pretty sure this was taken on a trip to Melbourne with my parents just before I got married.  That is the weekend Australian I am reading and if I was holding the paper straighter, we might have been able to read the date.  Oops I'd better make it sepia hadn't I?  There you go.



If you read my blog last week, I am excited to report that there is an update on the photo of my mother and the dog Pete and that we have been able to locate where the photo was taken so head on over and have a look at the postscript.

Here are some other photos where I am unable to place them but they called to me this morning from the album.  All thoughts and comments welcome.

Barbara
I suspect this was taken somewhere in Sydney's western suburbs.

Here's a close up.


These are tiny photos - about 8 x 6cm so sorry the clarity is not that fab.



Here's another one of which I am keen to discover the location.  It is such a distinctive structure around the tree trunk, someone must know.  I'm thinking that that is my maternal grandmother Kit with my mother's cousins Shirley on the left and Joy on the right with my mother in the pram or stroller in the front.  I am interested that looking at Shirley's face, I really see my mother's smile - it's the eyes and the mouth.  I've never noticed that before.  




Here's another one taken on the same day judging by the clothes.  Who is the other woman?  I don't think it is Belle, Kit's twin sister, but maybe it is.

Last photo.






I can recognise my mother - the little girl in the front and probably her mother standing on the far left but I have no idea who all these other women are....ooh, that could be my grandfather I think right in the middle standing in the background...all you can see is a tie.  Maybe this is taken in the Blue Mountains.  Maybe it is my grandmother's step mother standing in the front with the walking stick - Alice Forfar (nee Bourke).

So not much research today I'm afraid.  A tree though, from which paper is made and quite a few hats and berets, a bit like the one on that newspaper boy's head.  

I wish you a happy weekend full of newspaper reading, turkish trophies or time in the parlour playing pool.  For more Sepia fun head on over here.

Comments

La Nightingail said…
That first photo is great and, to my mind, matches the prompt perfectly! The other pix were interesting, and I loved your comment about paper being made from trees. Ya' done good to match up! :)
Alex Daw said…
Thank you lovely La Nightingail :) Thinking back, I was going to make my first photo Sepia but somehow forgot....I might just go back and do that, as a comparison like (said in an Irish accent for some reason ;) )
Mike Brubaker said…
Rules? I'm sure Alan's Auntie Miriam says there are no rules to Sepia Saturday. It's all good. Your observation about similar smiles is one I think is very true, and why we often identify familiar faces in photos taken before our own time. And I really like the tree frog illustration on your blog title.
Alex Daw said…
Dear Mike - thank you for your kind comments. That tree frog illustration is amazing isn't it? Did you see the side bar with more information about where it came from? Fascinating story.
ScotSue said…
The photographs of your mother are lovely , and I too liked your inventive link between newspapers and trees. I must admit, as a long time contributor to Sepia Saturday, I was not aware of, or had completely forgotten, about the 30 year stipulation - but don’t think it really matters now- we just enjoy each other’s posts.
Alex Daw said…
Thank you Sue. Yes rules are made to be broken I find. I love the photos of my mother too...she certainly had sophistication and style in buckets. Something I sorely lack.

Popular posts from this blog

31 Things to do in August for National Family History Month

NFHM Blogging Challenge - Week 1

Merry Month of May Movie Meme