Sepia Saturday 486 7 September 2019



School days.  Good morning everyone. Good morning Mrs So - and - so.....said in a long drawn out sing-song voice.  

I have spent a restless night, waking frequently to hear wind moaning as it snakes its way in through door and window crevices.  It's not good.  There are fires raging around south-east Queensland and parts of NSW.  I am worried for the good folk at Binna Burra, Stanthorpe, Applethorpe,  Tenterfield and Armidale. All this week, as I have driven from Brisbane to the Gold Coast, I have been driving through smoke haze from about Helensvale onwards. We've had a dry end to winter and the climate outlook for the remainder of the year shows an increased risk of bushfires.

When I looked for bushfires and schools on Trove, I found photos of the Hornsby Home Science School which was destroyed by bushfire on 30 November 1957.  It wasn't the first time the school had been threatened by a fire.  Newspaper articles give accounts of the fire threat five years earlier in 1952.





The Daily Telegraph 1st February 1952 courtesy of Trove.
I had to explain what domestic science was to my son the other day, it's such a quaint old-fashioned concept now.

Another interesting series of photos I discovered on Trove was of the Chateau Napier in Leura.  My parents used to live at Leura and I have many happy memories of spending May holidays in the Blue Mountains.  My mother used to tell me stories of when she was a small child being evacuated to the Blue Mountains during the war.  But I didn't remember hearing about Chateau Napier.  

Chateau Napier, 1946, courtesy of Blue Mountains City Library found on Flickr here.

I was keen to see where exactly this was located in Leura.

Bascially if you go to the top of Leura Mall, cross over the railway line and keep walking along Leura Mall, it was on the North-East corner of the roundabout where the Mall intersects with the Great Western Highway.  This street view photo shows all that is left of the original building...some exterior walls and archway leading into the garden.




You can see the arch more easily in this photo taken after the fire in 1957.

Remains of Chateau Napier Leura courtesy of Blue Mountains Library Local Studies Collection found on Flickr here.

What does this have to do with schools you may ask.  Well, this article here will fill in the gap a bit.  This was found on Trove in the Blue Mountains Advertiser, Friday 13 February 1942, page.4.





So there you go.  Students from SCEGS or Sydney Chruch of England Girls Grammar were evacuated to Chateau Napier during the war. There are some really interesting articles about the Chateau and the bush fire of 1957 here and here. Oh and this one too.  The latter makes me hunger for another holiday in the Blue Mountains.  I do miss it.

And just to finish off on happier memories, here's some photos of my Mum and her school friends at I think at Fort Street Girls High and Summer Hill Public school in Sydney.


My Mum isn't in this photo.  That's another Barbara but I chose the photo because of the tilting window a bit like the photo prompt.  I'm thinking this was probably taken around 1952-53. 

My Barbara is in this next photo of Summer Hill Girls Practice School - taken 9th September 1946. She's in the back row on the end at the right.


For more responses to the Sepia Saturday meme go here.



Comments

Barbara Rogers said…
You certainly gave us more than we expected, from fires today to a school fire in the past, to your mom in her school years. Thanks. Have a good weekend!
La Nightingail said…
Wild fires can exact terrible destruction - especially when they grow into populated areas. So far we've been lucky wherever we've lived - though always in the mountains & forested areas. We've had some huge fires come close. Have even had warnings to prepare for evacuation, but have only had to actually evacuate once and that with a lucky homecoming five days later. But every time I hear a large plane circling and circling overhead, I get a bit anxious and head outside to look for smoke!
Alex Daw said…
Yes, it was a bit long-winded. Pun fully intended ;)
Alex Daw said…
Dear La Nightingail - we have lived right next to the bush or what you would call forest for nearly 30 years now...at the base of Mount Coot-tha. All the TV stations and their towers are on top of the mountain so we hear helicopters quite frequently coming and going but during the flood, it was constant and quite worrying. Thankfully we have never had to prepare for evacuation or evacuate. I have a memory of being told that fires run up a mountain rather than down it, so feel a bit safer. Having said that, the fires these days seem to be very different and don't follow rules. They are their own weather system I understand. I was interested to hear fireworks down at my local school fete last night, despite a fire ban, news on the telly about the local bushfires and strong winds prevailing. I am left speechless sometimes, which for me, is saying something.
Molly's Canopy said…
Climate change is certainly taking its toll -- from the wildfires you describe to here in the Atlantic where Hurricane Dorian has ravaged the Bahamas and worked its way up the eastern U.S. coast into Canada. Glad you are safe so far -- and kudos for locating a family photo that's such close match to the prompt!
Kathy said…
I was just noticing a little while ago how dry the vegetation is in the green belt behind our home. And it is a little windy. We have never had to evacuate or even been close to needing to do so, although there have been a few brush fires not too far away. Enjoyed your interesting post and love your mom's big smile in the last photo.
Mike Brubaker said…
News of floods, forest fires, drought, high temperature, etc. from around the world have become so common and immediate that I think our collective senses are dulled to the tragic loss of life and property, not to mention the gargantuan issues of climate change. I hope you and your neighbors will stay safe this season.

Popular posts from this blog

31 Things to do in August for National Family History Month

NFHM Blogging Challenge - Week 1

Merry Month of May Movie Meme