52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks - Origins

Image by Ekaterine Kantaria from Pixabay

The theme for Week 2 is "Origins." Genealogists often get the question, "Where is your family from?" With this week's theme, you could explore an immigrant ancestor, but you could also think about the origin of other aspects of your family. Who was the first person in your family to settle in a particular town? If you have a long line of people with the same occupation, talent, etc, who was the first person you know who did it? If you want to join the challenge, sign up here.

Here is my latest ethnicity estimate from Ancestry which, if you have taken a test with Ancesry, you can find under the DNA tab, sub-heading Origins.



This has changed over time and there are reasons for that but I don't claim to be a DNA expert so you will have to look elsewhere for an answer.  Suffice it to say that my Irish percentage has increased significantly.  And in my youth I did have a lot of people tell me that I looked very Irish.  I am intrigued by the supposed Sweden & Denmark connections, not to mention the Aegean Islands.  Will I ever have an answer to those two places before I pass this mortal coil?  I fear not.  

But yes, people are keen to know your origin because it gives some context for the person that you are.  I have complex origins.  I was born in Sydney but spent my early years in Edinburgh, Scotland and most of my youth in Canberra in the Australian Capital Territory.  I have unfortunately never been to Ireland nor Wales and would love to go to both.  

Origins are all about where.  Surnames can sometimes give a hint of that. Sometimes they point to other things like trade or occupation.  FamilySearch has a Surname Origin search bar which is fun to play with here.

CONNER, my maiden name, is defined by FamilySearch as follows:

English: occupational name for an examiner or inspector, especially of ale, from Middle English connere, cunnere ‘inspector’, an agent derivative of cun(nen) ‘to examine’. 

I haven't found any inspectors in my Conners yet, although of course I like to think of myself as a detective of sorts with my hobby.

My paternal grandmother was convinced her maiden name CARRETT was French.  We haven't been able to find any evidence of that yet.  FamilySearch says the following: see Carrott.  Ethel would be mortified!  Interestingly FamilySearch says there are a few Carretts on the Isle of Man. 

I have boring names in my family tree like TAYLOR, JONES, COOK and CASE and ELLIS.

But there are interesting ones too like FOYNE.  FamilySearch has this to say about Foyne:

English: variant of Fane, a nickname from Middle English fein, fayn, fane ‘glad, well disposed’ (Old English fægen). The word seems also to have been occasionally used as a personal name in the Middle Ages, from which the surname may derive in some instances.

I also like FORFAR.  It's pretty obvious where that comes from - Scotland!

I like HOLLINGHAM and PASBY is pretty unique too I think. And what about MUZZELWHITE and SWEENEY.

One of the ideas I've been flirting with for a while is starting a One Name or One Place Study.  By focussing on a particular surname or place you build up a detailed picture which might help when you come to that dreaded brickwall.

I shall, for the moment, like a squirrel keep gathering nuts, in the hope of growing a beautiful tree with lots of branches one day.

PS In very good news, I had a mooch about on FamilySearch and discovered that they have the Portsmouth Lunatic Asylum records from 1873-1925.  I've just got to get into a FamilySearch affiliate library to see them.  Guess what? QFHS is a FamilySearch affiliate library and it opens next Tuesday - yeeha!


 


Comments

Em said…
I am a Carrett! Also led to believe the name was French. Interestingly, I recall being told there was originally an extra E and inflection on the end which was dropped along the way.
No verification for that I’m afraid, just family lore perhaps to soothe us poor ‘Carrots’.
I am thoroughly enjoying your posts and learning a lot, thank you!
Alex Daw said…
Em how lovely to meet a new cousin! I'd love to confirm the French-ness one way or another. Glad you're enjoying the posts. Stay in touch.

Popular posts from this blog

31 Things to do in August for National Family History Month

NFHM Blogging Challenge - Week 1

Merry Month of May Movie Meme