52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks - Family Lore

Image by hurk from Pixabay

Amy Johnson Crow challenges us to write about our Family History again in 2024 using her 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks challenge.  The theme for Week 1 is "Family Lore." Many of us have heard stories from our grandparents about incredible feats our ancestors did or a famous person we're related to. What's a tale that has been passed down in your family? Did it end up being true or did it turn out to just be a good story? You can join the challenge too here.

The most famous/shocking story handed down in our family was that my father's great-grandfather was meant to have shot himself.  Lo and behold it wasn't the entire truth (he lived to tell the tale) but there was certainly a large kernel of truth in the story handed down by my grandmother.  You can read the story of Edward Conner's life here.

Of course there's always more to be done isn't there?  I ordered his death certificate years ago but it was lost in transit somewhere.  I am delighted that now the GRO will provide digital images of the register entry for you at a modest cost of about $5.  I ordered it today and received it instantly.

Death registers being what they are in England, they frustratingly don't give me any idea of where he was buried but this is the transcription:

NO    WHEN & WHERE DIED  NAME            SEX      AGE        RANK or PROFESSION

117   Third October 1903        Edward Connor  Male   76 years     Painter of 48 Highfield Street

        Parish of Portsmouth                                                        Fratton

        Infirmary U.G. or U.D.? ???


CAUSE OF DEATH                    SIGNATURE DESCRIPTION AND RESIDENCE

Sarcoma of Neck                        H.K. Morley Resident Medical Officer Parish of Portsmouth Infirmary

Asthenia

certified by H W Morley

MRCS


REGISTERED                            SIGNATURE OF REGISTRAR

Eighth October 1903                    E.H. Andrews


I have written to the Hampshire Genealogical Society, of which I am a member, seeking their advice/assistance in finding a possible grave/burial site.

Stay tuned for more information as it comes to hand.

Last but not least, Happy New Year!  What are your goals and aspirations, family history wise for 2024?




 


Comments

Jennifer Jones said…
Great to see your post Alex. I’m still thinking of doing the 52 ancestors challenge but not sure if I have enough stories in me. I’ve ordered a few certificates from GRO since the prices were decreased. I love that they’ve done that. Happy New Year Alex.
Alex Daw said…
Jennifer! You are lovely to swing by and say G'day. Thank you. Yes isn't the new service from the GRO great? A very happy New Year to you too.
Alex Daw said…
An update! The Hampshire Genealogical Society directed me to make an enquiry of Portsmouth Cemeteries, which I did. Portsmouth Cemeteries replied very quickly to my query about where my ancestor Edward CONNOR/CONNER was buried. They confirmed he was buried on 7 October 1903 in Section 94 Aylwins Row 8 Plot 45 at Kingston Cemetery. As the plot was not purchased it was re-claimed and the current headstones are for the names Rosette 1954 and Alice 1970 Miller. They also kindly sent me a copy of the cemetery map so I have no excuse for not visiting the grave should I ever return to Old Blighty. Thank you and a big SHOUT OUT to HGS and Portsmouth Cemeteries for your prompt attention. A 24-hour turnaround on each query. Amazing.

Popular posts from this blog

31 Things to do in August for National Family History Month

NFHM Blogging Challenge - Week 1

Sepia Saturday: 31 August 2013