Dodging Bullets

 

From Edward Lear's limerick There was an old man of St Bees

  


You'd better get a cup of coffee.  This is going to be a long one!

This past week has certainly tested South East Queensland residents. (Pun unintended) In one week we went from 37 to 169 cases of Delta in the community.  This probably seems a laughable figure to the rest of the world and indeed parts of Australia like Sydney but it does demonstrate how quickly the virus can spread.  And the fact that contact tracing included at least half a dozen schools, a university, at least three major shopping centres and a couple of hospitals did tend to put the wind up us.  I was very sorry to see my first library listed.  Til now I've been rather foolishly reassured by the fact that no bookshops or libraries have been listed to date .

Here's a map of the close and casual contacts close to where I live.

  

I've included Ipswich as well as that is where my daughter and I were on Thursday last - one of the many bullets dodged. It really is sobering to see places listed that you visit on a reasonably regular basis e.g. your local shopping centre, a lovely local deli and the coffee shop where my daughter used to work.  

And then of course beyond the western suburbs, the city itself.  Sure enough, my beloved GOMA ended up on the list and so my son who shares a house with someone who works there had to self-isolate and get tested too.  A member of another family close to me had gone to the Brisbane Girls Grammar Open Day so they had to isolate and get tested too.  Half of Brisbane's surgeons were out of action.  All the schools affected are what we might call feeder schools or some of the best schools in Brisbane so it really affected the professional community.

Today it's been announced that we are out of lock-down in SEQld but Cairns and Yarrabah are going into lock-down this afternoon for three days because of an outbreak there. For the next two weeks we still have to wear masks everywhere and we're back to 1 person per 4sqm for shops etc.  Weddings and funerals can go ahead but with a maximum of 20 people. 


 

Teachers have now been put on the 1B priority list for vaccinations which seems to me to be long overdue.  High schoolers will need to wear masks at school which also seems long overdue.

For more of these memes/words go here

 

Those over 60 are being urged to get their 2nd dose ASAP.  And grandparents asked not have contact with grandchildren until they've had their 2nd dose.  I have only been able to have 1 dose so far and am booked in for my 2nd AZ dose on 20th August.  I'm trying to get it earlier than that but living in what I call "Ground Zero" or the western suburbs of Brisbane makes it a challenge.  Chemists have them available from tomorrow but when I rang my local chemist yesterday they were still trying to work out a priority schedule. If I don't get my 2nd dose until 20 August, then I won't be able to see Frankie or Bel until at least 3rd September to be safe. 

It's so difficult for young/new mothers these days to get the support they need while this is going on.  Thank goodness for the internet, Zoom, mobile phones et al which helps break down isolation.  Bel and I have chatted via Facebook messenger so Frankie can see me but this invariably leads to tears on his part when the call ends or the phone is taken away.

According to the Johns Hopkins site 17.24% of the Australian population is fully vaccinated.  We come in at number 75 on the list of countries just above Costa Rica and just below Peru.  Go Australia! (yes I am being sarcastic).




And so what have I been doing to distract myself?  I was going to do a lot of scanning this week but I just haven't been able to focus or apply myself.  Organizing basic things like online grocery shopping seemed to take hours; setting up accounts, then having to choose the right supplier for what we needed, then choosing the right method of getting the groceries (boot collection proved the "fastest"). Supermarkets, particularly locally, were overwhelmed and not able to deliver for a week.  I imagine much of their casual workforce was in quarantine too. I succeeded in buying the world's smallest block of cheese.  Fool me once!




Actually my online shopping increased vastly overnight.  My daughter's birthday is tomorrow and I realised I wasn't going to be able to get stuff for her any other way.  Luckily an order I had placed with Red Tractor arrived on time and I have re-purposed Christmas gifts into birthday gifts.  I had to cancel coffee with genealogy friends and coffee with old school/baby group friends.  My haircut was postponed by a week.  My birthday gift from Dad to a concert at QPAC went by the by.  My bridge playing increased enormously.

 

 


 

But I am mindful that this is nothing in comparison to what Sydney is going through.  My niece is expecting her first baby in a fortnight and we are all thinking of her and her partner and her mother who is mad with frustration that she can't support her during this time due to border closures. Big virtual hugs to all my buddies down south.

Genealogy wise this is what I have managed to achieve:

Volunteering

As Social Media Coordinator I've had to put up a lot of posts advising about the QFHS library being closed until Tuesday.  I've promoted upcoming workshops and other things that I think our community might be interested in.  I also put in a report for last month's efforts on our social media accounts.  We posted 106 times in the past 28 days.  We increased our activity on Twitter by 309%. We posted to Insta 46 times and increased our followers by 19.  I have been greatly aided in my efforts by using Buffer.  A big shout-out and thank you to Fran for showing me how to use Buffer.

As Acquisitions Coordinator I need to take a great stack of books  to the QFHS library (probably tomorrow) for cataloguing. I have also submitted a report to the Management Committee of purchases to date since I took on the role properly in April. It's been a slow process finding my feet.

 



Reading

I reviewed a local history book I've been meaning to review for ages and you can see that on GoodReads here. 

Learning

On Sunday I watched Cathi Nelson's video on Organizing your photos. I was still thrashing around trying to decide what photo organizing software I needed (if any).
 
On Tuesday I tuned into Helen Smith's webinar via Legacy on Burying the Body in England. I haven't really used Deceased Online much before this so I will certainly explore that. Of course Helen gave us a lot more information than just that but if you want to know more, you should subscribe to Legacy to get the video.
 
The lovely Carmel contacted me in response to a comment I put on one of Judy Webster's posts to send me a template spreadsheet for file naming conventions.  Big thank you to you Carmel for spreading the genea-love. I purchased Sassy Jane's ebook on cataloguing digital family photos too.
 
Yesterday I watched Dear Myrtle's presentation on how Society's leadership should manage/harness social media's potential for getting the word out about their events. I firmly believe word of mouth is the best tool for family history societies to increase membership but there were some great tips and suggestions in this session.
 

Doing

I co-hosted a Twitter chat on Tuesday night about crowd-sourcing in family history which generated lots of great ideas and discussion.  The lovely Sue Wyatt will post a summary soon on her blog here.
 
Alternatively you can just search Twitter with the hashtag #ANZAncestryTime and look at the discussion that way.
 
And as you can tell by my photos I played with my new Shotbox quite a bit.
 
 
 

 Positives

And just to end the blog post on a positive note I am happy to report the following:
 
  1. I raised $1k for the Dry July campaign. You can still contribute if you wish here.
  2. I won the eBay bid on a box of Thomas the Tank engine stuff which will go towards Frankie's 1st birthday gift in October.  We now have a turntable, tracks, engines and a roundhouse.  
  3. I earned myself another 0.09 of a MasterPoint in a bridge tournament on Friday afternoon.  Much jubilation.  I now have 1.1MP.  My teacher at the club Therese Tully has 6,434.08 by way of comparison! I have a loooooooong way to go. Big shout out to all the gorgeous people at Kenmore Bridge Club who performed double triple somersaults to keep us playing bridge online through lockdown.  Gold medal effort.
  4. I finished reading my book in time for book club which is a major triumph for me. Lockdown is good for some things :)
  5. I finished the back of my vest in terms of knitting projects.
  6. I made chicken stock for the first time in my life.
  7.  My mate Alison in the UK seems to have recovered from her bout of COVID - phew. And aren't we all sick of that Greg Coulter meme on Facebook asking if we personally know anyone who has had the virus?  Is this part of a campaign to suggest this is all a hoax?  Dear Lord.  I know 5 people personally who have had the virus so far if it helps you get over the hoax line. 3 in the UK and 2 here in Oz.
  8. The jasmine is out! 
  9. Last but not least a big shout out to everyone who has participated in the blog challenge so far. You are champions and a big shout out to Chris Crissouli for writing a beautiful poem and collating the bloggers on her blog here.

 

 



Comments

GeniAus said…
No rest for the wicked! Covid hasn't slowed you down, you've just rejigged your priorities. BTW I had noticed the upsurge in Twitter post from the Queensland genies.
Jennifer Jones said…
Wonderful post Alex. There are so many comments I could make. I’ve been following the Covid issues in QLD as my son and grandchildren live in Noosa. I’m so desperate to see them. Fortunately I was up there just before the start of the pandemic, as I haven’t been able to see them since then. So happy for you that you come out of lockdown today. We have our fingers crossed that it ends for us next weekend. I’m not surprised you didn’t get into digitising. You’ve done so much while you’ve been in lockdown. I felt tired reading about it all but I did love reading all about your isolation activities.
Alex Daw said…
Haha. No rest indeed. Social media is a fine art isn't it. I'm not sure I've got the balance/content of the posts right just yet but I'm trying. As my Latin teacher would say, very trying !
Alex Daw said…
Thank you dear Jennifer. I do hope you get to see your children and grandchildren soon. Happy blogging in the meantime :)
What a busy bee you’ve been! You’ve achieved so much both for yourself and your genea-activities. I felt very sad for poor little Frankie that he gets upset when he can’t see you….poor wee man. You’ve certainly been in the hot spot in the western suburbs with it all happening around you. Take care and stay safe.
Alex Daw said…
Dear Pauleen - yes it was a good exercise doing up that map. I haven't done one of those for a while. I certainly opened that Qld Health contact tracing site with great trepidation every day waiting for more familiar names of places to appear. Thank you for your kind words. Big hugs to you and yours and talk soon. xx
Watching the locations come up is certainly an exercise in dodging bullets. Loved reading all this, no where near as much achieved by me in Sydney. Although, at work, I have found I am constantly challenged by how to manage scenarios that we couldn't have conceived of this time two years ago. And lets not forget the daily - oh - its 11 am I wonder what's new today. Too much twitter, lots of Olympics but I've tried to make sure I keep hitting my minimum 4 walks/tennis sessions per week - the mostly sunny weather is helping this.
Alex Daw said…
Hi Jennifer - thanks for your comment. Yes, I can't imagine what it must be like working in this environment. I found it difficult enough when I was working at the beginning of last year and since retired. It was crazy enough then. Things changing on a daily if not hourly basis. Good for you regarding walks. I think my poor dog has just about given up on me lately. Although I can say with confidence there's only been two days this week that we didn't go for a walk at all. And yes the sunny weather helps dispel gloom.
Crissouli said…
Oh, Alex, I feel exhausted just reading all that.. You sure don't know that foreign word REST. I do feel for you not being able to see Frankie.. and for poor Frankie.
My pleasure to collate the list of contributors. I am trying to keep up with all.. anyone I miss, please contact me.
crgalvin said…
Wow, you've done so much. Had noticed the increase in your social media posts, well done. Now I'll have to watch the Dear Myrtle you mentioned. I do like the webinars etc but sometimes find I'm looking for something else to do while sort of paying attention or if it takes a long time for someone to get to the point. Thank goodness for fast-forward on YouTube. Love your illustrations and pictures.
Alex Daw said…
Hi Chris and Carmel - oh Chris I do know the word rest. Sometimes I worry I rest too much. I have been on occasion known to cry "But why do I have to get up (and join the real world) - bed is such a nice place to be !" I think you are prolific in your output too dear Chris. Dear Carmel - I am easily distracted while watching videos too. Thanks for the kind comments regarding the pictures. I'm sure they take as much time if not longer than the text.
Nancy said…
Gosh, you have been busy! Thanks for posting the links to the various other posts and videos. Very helpful. I hope you stay Covid-free!
Alex Daw said…
Dear Nancy - thank you for your kind words. My pleasure. Our genea-buddies keep us sane don't they? You stay well too !

Popular posts from this blog

31 Things to do in August for National Family History Month

NFHM Blogging Challenge - Week 1

Merry Month of May Movie Meme