Sepia Saturday 552 : Saturday 9th January 2021

 



Alan from Sepia Saturday says:

To take us into 2021 we have the letter T. You can interpret this as you like, for our theme image I have chosen a Birmingham tram from the 1920s. All you have to do is to feature an old photo in a blog post, post the post on or around Saturday 9th January 2021, and add a link to the list below.


I have chosen a few bits and bobs from a memento box which needs to be sorted and scanned; something on my list of never-ending things to do which never seem to get done.


Hazel Teddy & Jim at The Gap Watson's Bay

 

I don't think I've posted this photo before.  I like this photo because it shows Ted as a young boy.  Most of the photos I have of Ted are when he is an adult or a teen. As my father is the baby in this photo, I reckon Ted was probably about 10 years old and Hazel, 12-14 years old. Jim, my father, seems to have lost his shoe.  Why would they have been at Watson's Bay I wonder?  Had Jim just been baptised?  No. He was baptised at Earlwood.  

Watson's Bay was where my grandmother went to school.  She grew up at Parsley Bay.  Maybe they were just visiting their aunts and uncle, Connie and Claude and Lil who lived at Vaucluse, their father's sisters.  It looks to be winter in Sydney judging by Hazel's coat, Ted's jumper and Jim's Tam o'Shanter.  So I'm thinking this was taken circa 1936.  Because we have a new baby in the family, our first grandson, it's interesting to look at what my father looked like as a baby.  

If you want to see another picture of a Tram, go and read about The Gap here on Wikipedia. The Gap has spectacular views but is also associated with suicide and disaster.  The Dunbar was wrecked off The Gap in 1857. Incidentally, Dunbar, was the name of the house my father and his partner Jennifer built at Point Lookout on Stradbroke Island. The Phoebe Dunbar was wrecked off Stradbroke at Amity Point in 1856.

Other items that matched the T prompt I found in my box of goodies was the following:



I have no idea why TAA, the domestic carrier, was featured on an international vaccination certificate but there you go.  This was for our trip overseas in 1971.  I had a vaccination for Typhoid, as well as cholera and Small Pox.



 

And one more thing beginning with T.  A postcard from Tunbridge Wells.



My mother sent this to her father in 1980.  I'm surprised it was written in February.  If you had asked me I would have said that we flew back home in January but then I suppose Uni didn't start in Sydney til March.  



It reads:

Dearest Dad, A lovely day, foggy but not raining.  We had lunch at Tunbridge Wells just to the left of this picture.  The trees weren't green of course but it look much the same.  Drove on then to Hastings.  The sea was absolutely flat and very foggy all around.  We climbed up onto the cliffs at Beachy Head & walked for a little. Unvbelievable place.  Then on to Brighton for a quick fish & chips in the car before the drive back to London.  It has become very cold in the last week or so.  I think we have been spoilt lately.  Love Barb, Jim & Alex.

It's good to have confirmation of my grandfather (Tom)'s address on this postcard.  So by then, he was living at Benelong.  

Have you been watching Bridgerton?  I was interested in the use of the word "ton" with which I was unfamiliar.  Apparently, it means high society.  My mother loved Georgette Heyer novels and was obsessed with etiquette, which was determined by the "ton".  Tunbridge Well, actually called Royal Tunbridge Wells, is/was apparently very popular with royalty so would have been the centre of "hoi-polloi" or the "ton".

How's your life?  Are you in lockdown as we are in Brisbane?  What are you doing to while away the hours?  Perhaps you'd like to read more Sepia Saturday contributions or make one yourself.

 

Comments

What fun reading about your family! Seeing your Dad as a baby must give you wonder and joy at the same time.

Come by if you can.

Michelle

https://writing-out-of-the-blue.blogspot.com/2021/01/i-say-goodbye-againa-reposted-poem.html
Wendy said…
I have that same to-do list that never gets done. I enjoyed your variety of T stories and photos. How adorable is that picture of your dad with a shoe missing. How often have I chased down a mother whose child lost a sock in the grocery store?
Alex Daw said…
Thank you Michelle. I look forward to dropping by your blog. Dear Wendy - yes I was pleased to see him as a baby. Good to see you on the blog.
Alan Burnett said…
A most enjoyable read - it suits the theme down to a T
Anonymous said…
I hope your father didn't kick that shoe off in the direction of the cliff!
Barbara Rogers said…
So glad to see your family (or your father's actually) as well as see communications from way back when. Thanks for explaining the use of terms. That's always so hard, when we think we speak the same English, then are left scratching our heads trying to figure out what the other meant. Of course I imagine your accent when reading. And I guess you could do the same toward me!
La Nightingail said…
Enjoyed the picture of the three siblings, and the postcard is very attractive. The mention of Hastings had me thinking of how much history is there and I've written about Brighton in at least one of my novelettes without ever having been there and using only the information I could find online about it. I'd love to see both places someday. :)
Alex Daw said…
Dear Alan - very droll (as usual). Thank you for tending to Sepia Saturday for us and helping it grow.
Mike Brubaker said…
I think the most value of old family photos comes from comparing generations. I can see my younger self when looking at photos of my son from the same age. And it works the other direction too when I see how my mother as she aged became my grandmother. What will people do in the future with a gazillion digital images abandoned on our dated cellphones?

Thanks for your comments this weekend. Let's trust that 2021 brings a return of hope and joy to the world.
Sonja Bjork said…
Hi. I got this information from my neice Diana. I like finding relations even as far away as Australia. Tyrol is my nephew. Lets get together & chat a little.
I live in Northern Norway in the city of Narvik. I would love it if you want to visit. Thanks again. Kind regards
Sonja
Sonja Bjork said…
Hi. I got this information from my neice Diana. I like finding relations even as far away as Australia. Tyrol is my nephew. Lets get together & chat a little.
I live in Northern Norway in the city of Narvik. I would love it if you want to visit. Thanks again. Kind regards
Sonja
Sonja Bjork said…
Hi again. I am new at this. I am Dianas Aunt, sister to her father Ed Forfar. I would dearly love to get in touch. My IG sobjork. Ok hope to hear from you. Sincerely Sonja Bjork
Alex Daw said…
Dear Kathy - I hope so too!
Dear Barbara - perhaps we should organize a Zoom catch up sometime. It would be lovely to hear everyone speak, although I suspect some people wince at the sound of an Australian accent.
Dear Gail - Yes I hope to be able to see the dear old UK again one day.
Dear Mike - Yes all those mobile phone images. My daughter says that Google Photos told her the other day she has taken 1000 photos of her 12 week old baby already ! I can't blame her. He is a beautiful boy but it is a worry from a file management point of view. Remember you are the light in this dark world. Be the light.
Dear Sonja - I'm so excited to have had contact from not one but two Forfar cousins in the past 24 hours. Looking forward to making contact. Now I really have a reason to visit Norway!! Apart from the wool and the knitting and the lovely people :)

Popular posts from this blog

31 Things to do in August for National Family History Month

NFHM Blogging Challenge - Week 1

Merry Month of May Movie Meme