Lucy Forfar's Will

c) Banksy
From acwozhere on Flickr - you can see the licence here

I've been fishing this week, just like this Banksy piece of artwork which I think has since been painted over :(   ....looking for more details on the Forfars of London.  Today, I received Lucy Forfar's will via email from the lovely people at the Probate Search office.

This is my transcription of the will:


On the 24th day of October 1866 the Will with Codicil thereto of Lucy Forfar formerly of but late of No. 9 Westbourne Terrace Road Harrow Road in the County of Middlesex Widow deceased, who died on the 3rd day of October 1866 at Spring Grove aforesaid Isleworth in the said County was proved in the Principal Registry of Her Majesty’s Court of Probate, by the Oath of William Wise of Spring Grove Isleworth in the said County Gentleman the sole Executor the sole    one of the Execut   named in the said Will he having been first sworn duty to administer, power being reserved of granting Probate of the said Will and to

 the other Execut    named in the    


the other Executor having renounced the Probate and Execution of the said Will   

Effects under £200 

This is the last Will and Testament of me Lucy Forfar of No. 9 Westbourne Terrace Road Harrow Road at London in the Country of Middlesex widow I desire that my funeral and any other debts or expenses arrears shall be duly paid.  I give and bequeath all my wearing apparel and any jewellery or trinkets I may be possessed of unto my own sister Harriet Margaret Wise to act with in any way she may think proper and the residue of my property I give and bequeath unto my son George Forfar ? where at attains the age of 21 years but should my said son die before attaining the age of 21 years but leaving a widow or a widow and child or children I ? bequeath the said residue in favour of his having a widow, only to act absolutely on her reaching the age of 21 and in the other case of his leaving also a child or children to it or ? absolutely in equal portion on their respectively reaching the age of 21 and in the mean time to Mr William Wise in trust for their use ?? interest to be applied towards their maintenance but should my son George die ? before reaching the age of 21 without leaving a widow or issue I then give and bequeath the residue of my property unto my sister Harried Margaret Wise and I herby appoint Mr William Wise of Spring Grove Isleworth Middlesex sole Executor of this my last will and testament.  In witness whereof I the said Lucy Forfar the testatrix gave to this my last will and testament set my hand this first day of September in the year of our Lord 1866 Lucy Forfar (Ls.  – signed sealed and acknowledged by the said testatrix as an for her last will and testament in the presence of us present at he same time who at her request in her presence and in the presence of each other have ? subscribed our names as witnesses – Eliza A. Beard – Julia Annette Collins.  

Proved at London 24 Oct 1866 by the oath of William Wise the sole Executor to whom ? was granted.

I have put question marks for words I can't read.

So I learned that William Wise is the husband of Harriet Margaret Wise, Lucy's sister.

I didn't learn anything about how Lucy's husband, Robert, died unfortunately.

Oh well.

And of course now I have two new names to ponder over - Eliza A. Beard and Julia Annette Collins.

Bridge House, Little Venice, W2
From Ewan Munro on Flickr - licence is here


I think 9 Westbourne Terrace would be quite close to this place, Bridge House, as it is 13 Westbourne Terrace so you get an idea of the place Lucy would have been working in.  

The Ballin sisters were the daughters of Captain George Ballin, Quartermaster of the Artillery Company of London for many years.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

31 Things to do in August for National Family History Month

NFHM Blogging Challenge - Week 1

Merry Month of May Movie Meme