Retraction - The Financial health of (some) Australian Family History Societies 2022

 

Hi everyone

It seems I pressed the publish button too soon on my last blog post without proof reading it thoroughly.  

I was asked by the Genealogical Society of Victoria to take the post down immediately this morning as it contained incorrect information about their finances.   In my haste to take down the blog post, I have now completely lost it so am unable to confirm exactly where the error was. However the Secretary of GSV advised me that I indicated that the GSV ran at a loss in 2022 which is completely untrue. You can check GSV's accounts on the ACNC website here.

I unreservedly apologise for any distress or misinformation that was caused by the blog post to the reputation of the Genealogical Society of Victoria.  It was not my intention to cause hurt or distress and no-one can be more distressed than I am by my error (which I now can't even check).  All I can say is please check "facts" for yourself (and indeed I did include the link to the ACNC website so that readers could do that).

My goals were just to take a pulse check of family history societies in Australia.  I think my work as a volunteer for at least one society and, on occasion, more than one, speaks volumes for my support and good wishes for ALL family history societies - large or small.   And I am exceedingly sorry that my reporting was not correct.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank GSV for contacting me swiftly and making me aware of this error.  

When I have had a chance to recover my blogging mojo, I will redraft an accurate post and check it twice indeed three times before pressing the Publish button.



Comments

Nancy said…
Alex, your last post is still available in my feedly fees. If you'd like me to send it to you, I can. I can copy and paste to your email or I can make screenshots if you'd like. It's awful to lose a blog post you spent so much time creating!
Alex Daw said…
Dear Nancy - oh you are so lovely. Thank you so much for letting me know. As luck would have it another genie friend still had it open on one of her tabs on her PC and sent it to me as a Word document. Thank goodness for dear virtual friends. I will get back to revising and enlarging the post in line with suggestions from various people.

Popular posts from this blog

31 Things to do in August for National Family History Month

NFHM Blogging Challenge - Week 1

Sepia Saturday: 31 August 2013