#NationalFamilyHistoryMonth Blogging Challenge - Week 3 - Share

 



This is the third blog post for the #NationalFamilyHistoryMonth blogging challenge.  You can find out all about it here.

Week 3 - Share - tips for smashing brick walls, or your opinion on what needs to be fixed/changed in family history - "If I ruled the world!".  Tell us what you can't live without - maybe it's a piece of tech gear, your society or group, or your library.

It's so difficult to choose what you can't do without but I'm going to perhaps choose something that may seem a bit unusual or different.  I can't do without my family history podcasts.  There you are.

I was going to say I can't do without the internet and yes, of course, that really would be a dint in my family history research.  I wouldn't be able to access my databases, search library catalogues or great websites, blog or send emails to my cousins or share stuff on Dropbox or attend Special Interest Groups at my Society or attend workshops or meetings via Zoom.  So definitely I couldn't do without the internet.  Things would be very grim indeed.

But, on reflection, I am very grateful for those who podcast family history.

 


 

My sad not-so-secret secret is that I loathe exercise.  It is my natural inclination to sit and research all day which, as you well know, is not a very healthy inclination.  I have said before how I couldn't do without my puppy Arwen, who nudges me awake every morning and then nudges me under the elbow twice a day to take her for a walk.  She needs it and I definitely need it.  I could lose at least 20 kilos but with Arwen and my beautiful airpods which I won doing Dry July last year, I have no excuse not to go for a walk and keep my butt from being bigger than it already is. Listening to podcasts motivate me to get out the door and stay healthy enough so I can keep doing family history for a few more years yet until it's done. That last bit was a joke. It will never "be done". 




When I walk, I cheerfully confess that I don't just listen to family history podcasts. I listen to bridge podcasts too - that's my other weakness - sitting on my butt and playing cards.  But I know you will only be interested in what I listen to genealogy or history wise, so here is my list:

  • I have listened to The Genealogy Guys for years - how wonderful to hear the familiar voices of George and Drew.  I feel in very safe hands with those two, who have their fingers on the pulse, are accomplished speakers and know so many fabulous people to interview. How blessed are we to have them in our lives.  What wonderful examples of sharing those two are - we would be so much the poorer if they didn't share all they know.
  • I also enjoy listening to Maureen Taylor The Photo Detective.  She has introduced me to so many interesting new things in Genealogy. How to use TikTok for family history (I don't have time for it with everything else but at least I can understand why some would be interested in using it), how understanding fashion can help you decipher the age of a photo etc etc
  • The ABC's History Listen has lots of great real life family history stories on it too.  I particularly enjoyed the Inexpressible Island story and the Harry Valentine story but they've all been good.

I fantasize about having my own family history podcast one day but we're just a fraction too busy to get on with that at the moment.  Brisbane City Council Libraries have been offering introduction to podcasting sessions, so if you are interested, hop to it and register here.


 

Do you listen to family history or genealogy podcasts ? Which ones do you like the best?

Do you want to win some fab technology or resources to help you with your family history?  You need to enter the National Family History Month competition here.

  • Entry is only open to Australian/New Zealand genealogy and family history societies, and to individuals living in Australia or New Zealand.
  • Prizes for the opening and closing events are available to those who register and attend the events.
  • The giveaway for individuals commences on 1 August 2022 and entries close at 11:59pm on 30 August 2022.

Good luck!!



Comments

Isabel Flynn said…
Good choice and you make the most of it. I still can’t work my EarPods and iPhone out!!!
Alex Daw said…
Thank you dear Isabel. I don't profess to be an expert and count myself lucky when it all works ! I just fluke it I think :)

Popular posts from this blog

31 Things to do in August for National Family History Month

NFHM Blogging Challenge - Week 1

Merry Month of May Movie Meme