Accentuate the Positive Geneameme 2021

 

The wonderful Geniaus aka Jill Ball has invited us once again to reflect on our Geneayear.  Why don't you join in too? Here are the questions:

Remember to Accentuate the Positive 
(Please delete the items that are not relevant to your situation.)

1. I got the most joy from...
 

I reckon I got the most joy from my research trip to Toowoomba with my sister-in-law and BFF in September.  I've wanted to visit the Toowoomba Cemetery for years (sad I know) and tidy up some of my husband's family tree.  What bowled me over was how keen my BFF and sister-in-law were to come into the family history society with me on the day.  And we received such a warm welcome.  I'd done lots of prep in terms of searching for names and where they might be buried in the cemetery but, I must have got distracted in the packing and left the vital notes behind.  Thank goodness for the fabulous FHS which has its premises right next door to the cemetery.  You can read all about our visit here  Sister-in-law Julie left her sunglasses at the cemetery (or so we thought) so we had to go back the next day but neither she or BFF Loani seemed to mind.  (The sunnies were actually hiding in the footwell in the back-seat).  We took advantage of the second visit to take better photos in the morning when we were able to see inscriptions on headstones more clearly. 

2. The Covid situation gave me an opportunity to ...
 
Volunteer more for my family history society and join new groups.  For example I joined the new Family Historian User Group at QFHS, the English Research Group at SAG and the Bathurst Family History Group.

3. I managed to attend a face to face event at....
 
As freshly minted Acquisitions Officer for the QFHS Library, I was able to attend a book launch in June for Elisabeth Wheeler's A Clear Vision: Janet O'Connor and the Duporth School for young women Oxley Queensland.
 
Here is the tweet from local councillor Nicole Johnston who launched the book.

 You can find the author on Facebook here.  Here's a link to the publisher and purchasing info.

4. My main focus this year was on 
 
 

 
Coming to grips with my new role in Acquisitions for QFHS.  So far we have purchased the following titles for QFHS library.  The books were a mixture of old and new items.


 
 
Richard Griffith and His Valuations of Ireland By James R Reilly

A Practical Guide to the Valuation of Rent in Ireland : With an Appendix, Containing Some Extracts from the Instructions Issued to Valuators in 1853 by the Late Sir R. Griffith, Bart

Archives of the Valuation Office By Frances McGee

Researching Ulster Ancestors: The Essential Genealogical Guide to Early Modern Ulster, 1600–1800 (Second Edition)by Dr William Roulston

Researching Farming Ancestors in Ireland by Dr William Roulston

Civilising Brisbane by Duncan Richardson

Beer Mines and Rails by Brett Stubbs

Neither Mischievous or Meddlesome by Trisha Fielding

Earning a Crust: A Century of the Baking Trade in Warwick by Judith Anderson

Vols 4 & 5 of Our Backyard by Toowooomba & Darling Down FHS Inc.

Men of Fire, Iron and Leather by Toowoomba & Darling Downs FHS Inc.

Tracing Your Irish Ancestors through Lands Records by Chris Paton

Brookfield State School 1871-2021 - Celebrating 150 years by Brookfield SS

Convicts at Moreton Bay by Mamie O'Keefe

The Dempsters by Rica Erikson.

Port Macquarie's First Convicts by Clive Smith

Forgotten Souls: the tuberculosis hospital and cemetery at Waterfall, NSW by Carol Herben

An Australian Clan: the Nivisons of New England by Jillian Oppenheimer and Bruce Mitchell

Sutherland School Centenary

The Elusive Captain William Cromarty by Leslie Kilmartin

With a a Stern Resolve - the Second World War Service of Moggill Men and Women by Neville Marsh and Judith A Nissen

Island in the flood - the story of the Bellbowrie, Moggill and Anstead floods 2011 by Neville Marsh


5. A new piece of technology or skill I mastered was

In February I spent many hours slaving over a hot powerpoint video presentation for QFHS for FHDU. I was significantly aided by Susie Zada's video guide and could not have done it without her advice.  You can see the final production QFHS: a window to the world below.Thanks to my daughter who helped me with access to the latest software and dear Char and sister-in-law Pat who proof-watched it and gave feedback.
 


6. A geneasurprise I received was...
 
being asked to help host the #ANZAncestryTime Twitter chat and be the coordinator for National Family History Month

7.  A Facebook Group that helped me was
 
too many to mention.....

8. My 2021 social media post that I was particularly proud of was..
 
It's hard to pick between the A-Z challenge on family history societies and the National Family History Month blogging challenge but I'll go for the latter because it was embraced so warmly by all my genie buddies and we had a lot of fun.

9.  A new genealogy/history book I enjoyed was...
 
Downsizing with Family History in Mind by Devon Noel Lee and Andrew Lee
 
I have yet to read
 
 
Research Like a Pro with DNA by Diana Elder, Nicole Dyer and Robin Wirthin
 
and
 
Genetic Genealogy in Practice by Blaine T Bettinger and Debbie Parker Wayne
 
not to mention
 
The Foundlings by Nathan Dylan Goodwin.

10. I was impressed by...
 
The NSW Family History Conference in August.  Despite all the challenges our New South Welsh colleagues faced with lockdown after lockdown after lockdown, the conference was run like a professional television broadcast with stings or jingles to alert us when the next talk was starting and great interaction from delegates on the Zoom chat.  Oh and did I mentional GREAT speakers and sessions.  AND so affordable.  Kudos!  Can't wait for the next conference.

11.  A great journal or newspaper article I found was..
 
Well, through British Newspaper Archive, I finally found the newspaper article relating to the suicide of one of my ancestors.  It was a a very sad article to read but I'm so glad I found it.  I found a reference to it in The Keep Archives catalogue but the reference is incorrect.  It says the article is on page 8 of The Sussex Express 23 Sep 1893.  But it's actually a different date. It was actually 20 September 1893 and page 5.  I'm so glad I persisted and found it. I need to write up a blog post but am unsure of how to approach the subject matter.

12. I got the most value from this subscription
 
I reckon Legacy Family Tree Webinars have got to be the best value for money.

13. I progressed my DNA research with...
 
by getting my DNA tested with Ancestry.  Previously I had only the maternal line tested with FamilyTreeDNA.  I then uploaded the results to other companies e.g. MyHeritage to make more possible connections with cousins.

14. I taught a genimate how to..
 
Use Tweetdeck to follow the #ANZAncestryTime chats

15.  A blog post that taught me something new was...
 
I really got a lot out of Janet Few's blog post My Life in Seven Censuses which inspired my own blog post - My life in Twelve Censuses Part 1 and Part 2.
 
16. A DNA discovery I made was...
 
I still have a long way to go with organising my DNA matches (there are 430 of them!!) but I have made contact with three lovely women - one on the CARRETT side of the family, one on the FORFAR side of the family and one on the SINCLAIR side of the family.  Funnily enough, all of them are based in South East Queensland.  One on the Gold Coast, one on the Sunshine Coast and one in the northern suburbs of Brisbane.  Our ancestors came out from London, Eastbourne and Scotland and we all ended up here :)

17. A newly found family member shared...

My CARRETT cousin Heather shared the photo of my great-grandparents golden wedding anniversary.  I had seen the photo before but it's nice to have a decent copy of it.  She was able to confirm the location of the event which was the George Hall, Canterbury Road, Canterbury from the back of the photo.  It was wonderful to be able to share it with my father and ponder over who was who. Thank you so much Heather.
 

 

18. I finally found ......... six feet under...
 
Check out my blog post about my finds in the Toowoomba Cemetery here.

19. 
I splashed out and purchased...
 
Hmmmm...a shotbox which I just love.  I have also invested in Forever and Collectionnaire but haven't had time to make use of them yet.  
 
20. Another positive I would like to share is...
 
I've enjoyed so many new conferences this year - RootsTech, The Really Useful Family History Show, Scottish Indexes and The Genealogy Show. I continue to listen to the Genealogy Guys podcasts and would be interested in any others you'd care to recommend.  I follow a large number of blogs and as Social Media coordinator for QFHS receive newsletters from the Secretary so it's a battle to keep my inbox under control.  I have recently discovered The Creative Family Historian and have appreciated her templates for planning research and setting smart goals. 
 
I want to take this opportunity to thank the many many generous genies who give so freely of their time just to chat, share their knowledge/learnings/insights either through blogs, podcasts, conferences, seminars or journal articles.  Honestly it is sometimes overwhelming how much info is out there.  
 
Thank you to dear Fran (@travelgenee) and Pauleen (@cassmob) who coached me through Buffer and Tweetdeck so I could manage my social media interaction more easily and the whole #ANZAncestryTeam who adopted me so enthusiastically into the team. Thank you to my colleagues on the QFHS management committee for all your enthusiastic support and friendship.  And to all the fellow bloggers who continue to set the benchmark higher and higher for standards of professionalism and passion for their subject.
 
And finally thank you  to Jill for always encouraging us to reflect on our achievements, particularly in these challenging times.  It is so worth it.
 

 

 

Comments

GeniAus said…
Wow, what a year.

I think retirement is agreeing with you, and has provided QFHS and the the genealogy community with a talented volunteer who has risen to many new challenges.

The existence of a Family Historian Group at QFHS makes a membership sub appealing - something for me to ponder.

Thank you so much for sharing your positive post and for being first to rise to the challenge.
Alex Daw said…
Lovely Jill - thank YOU for taking the time to visit my little blog and what's more read my interminable tome :) You are a credit to the regiment :)
Jennifer Jones said…
I really enjoyed reading about your year in genealogy Alex. I’m impressed at the technology you mastered. Sounds like you’ve had a busy year and it looks like next year will be another one. So much for relaxing in retirement eh? You have reminded me that I was going to join the English Research Group at SAG. I had forgotten about it, so I will hop to it. Alex I’ve loved getting to know you this year and look forward to continuing the friendship in 2022. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family. Stay happy and safe xx
Hi Alex, you have been really busy. I love a bit of technology so have written them down to try
Happy New Year Robyn (Robyn and the Genies)
Alex Daw said…
Thank you dear Jennifer and Robyn for visiting my blog. I'm glad I reminded you of something Jennifer. It has been lovely getting to know you too. And Robyn all the best with the new technology and Happy New Year to both of you !
Maggie Gaffney said…
You've had such a fascinating and productive year, Alex! Love that you managed to get out and about, and weren't those online conferences brilliant? I have loved that we've been able to enjoy so many wonderful presentations and connections online this year.
Alex Daw said…
Hi Maggie - yes, COVID notwithstanding, I've had a very good year indeed on reflection. A lucky family historian indeed. Thanks for swinging by and saying G'day.

Popular posts from this blog

31 Things to do in August for National Family History Month

NFHM Blogging Challenge - Week 1

Merry Month of May Movie Meme