Sepia Saturday 501: 4 January 2020



Goodness me!  2020!  Who woulda thunk we'd be seeing the year 2020?

Alan Burnett from Sepia Saturday has provided us with the prompt of the charming smile of an unknown lady.

So here goes...a photo from my maternal grandfather's collection.  I welcome all comments from the McLoughlin clan as to who this photo is of...the name Lena springs to mind.  Probably one of my grandfather's sisters.



Here is a photo of the photo wallet in its entirety.  The number on the top left looks suspciously like my mother's writing but it could be a photographic studio note.  Does it mean it was taken in 1921?  We will probably never know.  



I can find evidence of the Rupert Kay Studio in the Sydney Morning Herald from Trove 21 January 1914.

1914 'Advertising', The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954), 21 January, p. 12. , viewed 04 Jan 2020, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article15492509
I think dating the photograph at about 1921 is correct.  The hairstyle is either finger waving or Marcelling.

Let's go back to the family tree and check the siblings.  My grandfather Thomas was born in 1898.  Then there was Margaret Philomena born 1899, then Mary Josephine born 1902.  Helena or Lena wasn't born til 1913 so now I am more inclined to think it is Margaret or Mary.  Come on all you cousins lurking out there.  What do you think?

Want to join in the fun with a photo of an unknown woman with crimped or wavy hair?  Just link your post to Sepia Saturday here.  And keep smiling :)




Comments

Molly's Canopy said…
Lovely photo and very good suppositions about who it might be. I hope your cousins join in, as a group approach can often be helpful.
Virginia Allain said…
I love trying to get photos identified. So important to do and the sooner, the better.
Mike Brubaker said…
Well done! A perfect match. Getting one's hair arranged for a studio photograph used to be a big deal. I have several vintage portrait photos that I'm sure were taken within hours of even minutes of leaving the barber or hair dresser.
Barbara Rogers said…
Super connection from 100 years ago...and just look at that wonderful wavy hair! I like the way you've winnowed out facts, and have gotten closer to who she might be.
Jofeath said…
A lady with a very subtle smile. She knows something you don't.
La Nightingail said…
I hope a cousin responds to your plea. Having lovely photographs of past relatives and not being able to absolutely identify them is frustrating.
Wendy said…
Love the colorizing - what a pretty shade of yellow.
Yes - 2020! I remember reading "1984" in school and wondering what that year would be like. Then I tried to imagine whether I would even be alive to see the 21st century. And here I am still going strong in 2020. HA - go me!
Mary Ann said…
Hi
I think it looks like Margaret (aka Aunty Peg). She had amazing eyes and beautiful skin. On my father's birth certificate (Patrick McLoughlin b.1916) his older sister Margaret P was 15 years of age.
I'll check with Marilyn.
Alex Daw said…
Hi Mary Ann - Yes Marilyn confirmed it was Aunty Peg. I should have updated the blog. Silly me. Life gets in the way of the things we love doesn't it? My apologies. Alex

Popular posts from this blog

31 Things to do in August for National Family History Month

NFHM Blogging Challenge - Week 1

Merry Month of May Movie Meme