Sepia Saturday 408: 3rd March 2018



This week's Sepia Saturday prompt photo is a Caddy Master and his caddies at the Shaughnessy Golf Club and is from the Flickr Commons stream of the Vancouver Public Library Historical Photograph Collection.

When I "googled" golf AND caddy on Trove one of the photos that came up was this one.

Isn't it a beauty?


I would love to post the photos here on my blog but even though the copyright status indicates that it is out of copyright, under the terms of use it states that restrictions on publication apply.  Reading the Fairfax site it suggests that if I want to use the photos on social media (not advertising), Fairfax would charge $157 per photo to do so.  Sigh.

I just love the photo of Mrs Triglone and her caddy for so many reasons.  I love that she and the caddy are essentially the same height.  I love the caddy's grin.  

I wanted to find out some more about Mrs Triglone.  

I discovered from this article that she was originally Miss Duret.


MOTHER OF TWO (1923, July 26). The Sun (Sydney, NSW : 1910 - 1954), p. 5 (FINAL EXTRA). Retrieved March 4, 2018, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article224092638



She married Arthur Harcourt Triglone in Young on 21 February 1920.  


Family Notices (1920, March 3). The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954), p. 10. Retrieved March 4, 2018, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article28094692

I discovered that she was born in New Zealand and that her father was a real estate agent and her mother a writer and artist.


Social Chat (1913, June 28). The Newsletter: an Australian Paper for Australian People (Sydney, NSW : 1900 - 1919), p. 3. Retrieved March 4, 2018, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article112719235


But I think it is the photos that tell us the most about Mrs Triglone.  

Here are some more links for your enjoyment:






Mrs Triglone died 12th December 1985 at the age of 98 according to a death notice recorded in the Ryerson index here.

Comments

crgalvin said…
Love the “.comfortable” golfing clothes and shoes. She may have been short in stature but there was obviously plenty of accuracy behind those swings. A great series of shots - golfing and photography.
Alex Daw said…
Dear Carmel - Thanks so much for dropping by and checking out those photos. I was so disappointed not to be able to include them on my blog because they are so fantastic but thanks for bearing with me and trotting off to have a look at them. They really are fabulous photos aren't they? Best I've seen in a long while.
Barbara Rogers said…
Lovely old photos, and she obviously kept healthy with her golf! What are those people thinking by charging so much to post their photos on social media? As if they are going to become "viral" or something! I hope they change that decision.
Mike Brubaker said…
They are all super photos, and the last one especially fits the theme perfectly. Mrs. Triglone looks perhaps 4'6" tall? It was a time when golf was more an affordable recreation than an elitist sport. And golf surely was one of the few opportunities for women to participate in real athletic games.
I love this post. Here, here to Mrs Triglone (and Mrs Pennefather) for breaking ground for women in the "Manly Golf Club." You have also given me an excellent idea for linking to photos I cannot place directly on the blog. Nicely done!
Kathy said…
Such a fun group of photos. She seems to have often worn a big smile along with her hats and skirts that seem a bit slim for engaging in a sport.
What a great post. The photos are outstanding. Trailblazers come in unexpected packages
don't they? And she lived to be 98? Good thing I'm going golfing tomorrow and I'm going
to appreciate my shoes with cleats, my sun visor hat and my whoop-dee-doo titanium
golf clubs with the degree of lift declared on each one. I love Mrs. Triglone...I see a series
on NetFlix.
Alex Daw said…
Oh I'm so pleased you all love the photos as much as I do. Barbara - I know. I was shocked. Poor old Fairfax aren't doing so well I think, hence the pricing. Mike, you raise a very good point about the cost of golf these days. I was interested to see some of the newspaper articles reporting the sport for women. I might edit my post just to show some of the pages - there were full page spreads showing full length portraits of a dozen women golfers. You don't see anything like that in today's papers. I feel sad that maybe not so many women feel able to participate these days. Molly - you made me laugh with your pun on the Manly Golf Club. Kathy - I just loved the clothes. That hat with the cut out bits of felt is priceless. And the shoes!! Helen - good for you playing golf. I used to play - not very well I hasten to add - but I loved spending the day walking and talking with friends and the beer always tasted sooo good on the 19th hole :) And yes to a series on Netflix !
21 Wits said…
How very interesting to learn about Mrs. Triglone she was quite the woman. I get the same way sometimes when researching, one person or a place will peak my interest and off I go! Sorry about your photo costs. Have you ever tried using Library of Congress, (their prints and photographs department) they have photos you can use by checking Rights Advisory: No known restriction on publication. Here is a link showing an example. http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/2015633478/
Wendy said…
Go Mrs Triglone! I bet she could carry a lot of golf balls in that hat.
Alex Daw said…
Dear Karen ...thank you for that link. I have to day that this is the first time I've ever really had an issue with old photos. Normally I have no trouble. I just fell in love with Mrs Trig and didn't want to give her up. Wendy..you made me laugh!
tony said…
As well as Mrs Triglone carrying a lot of ball in her hat, I bet (being Britain) there was also alot of tea in the caddy!

Popular posts from this blog

31 Things to do in August for National Family History Month

NFHM Blogging Challenge - Week 1

Merry Month of May Movie Meme