What's On - Friday 5 February - Thursday 11 February 2016


Transforming Tindale - A travelling exhibition from State Library of Queensland (SLQ) - at Arana Hills Library until 20 February



The Transforming Tindale exhibition has finally been installed at our library and is attracting a lot of attention which is very pleasing. The exhibition explores the legacy of Norman Tindale’s 1938 anthropological expedition to Aboriginal communities. These records are both a source of contention surrounding the treatment of Aboriginal Australians, and a valuable resource for relatives. If you are not able to visit the library to see the exhibition you can explore the virtual exhibition online here.


#genealogyselfie



How is your research going this week?  I have ordered and received a couple of inter-library loans through my library which I hope will help me with a couple of roadblocks and/or just give me more information about my ancestors and the lives they lived.  




But I do seem to be a bit stuck.  Which is why I'm looking forward to hearing fellow-genie Chris Schuetz deliver his Where did they come from?  Where did they go? sessions at Moreton Bay Region Libraries soon.  Chris has suffered the same problems as the rest of us and has this to say:

Early in my family history research, many of my ancestors seemed to come from nowhere, and their descendants later disappeared. As I came to know more about typical movement patterns, people started turning up. Other countries have well-worn patterns of movement, but Australia (quiet about much of its own history) does not. And few people know about movement back in the home country. I put this session together to help people with their disappeared ancestors, to help them find them too.

Sounds like just what I need.  Thank you Chris!

If it sounds like just the ticket for you too you might want to put these dates in your diary now.  Please call the library to book a place so we put out enough seats won't you?

Arana Hills Library - Wednesday 17 February 2-3pm Ph: 3351 3401
Albany Creek Library - Thursday 18 February 10-11am Ph: 3264 5267

I'm a bit sorry that I'm going to Sydney this weekend and missing out on GSQ'S Grand Opening and Family History Fair and the fabulous Writing and Publishing workshop that my own Society, QFHS, is hosting.  But it will be lovely to catch up with my dear old Dad. ("Not so much of the old!" I can hear him protest)

Have a wonderful week everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

31 Things to do in August for National Family History Month

NFHM Blogging Challenge - Week 1

Merry Month of May Movie Meme