Sepia Saturday 357: 4th March 2017



Today's Sepia Saturday photo prompt gives us an opportunity to identify what catches our eye in this photo and what photos we may have in our collection that reflect the same objects or sentiments.

What gives us joy?  A great hat?  A puppy?  New togs?  

Are we looking for a sailor suit?  A dog?  A matron with a magnificent hat?  A verandah?

I've brought out a couple of photos for inspection.  I've chosen to focus on dogs. I am hard pressed to find sailor suits or matrons with such magnificent millinery.

My sister-in-law brought over some tiny photos a couple of years ago...more treasures I think from her mother Fay's room.  We loved this one of my husband.  It's almost a trio but not quite. 2.5. Although if you count the budgies I guess we're looking at 4.5.



Robert Dexter Daw


We're not sure where it's taken...maybe Gran and Father's place (Robert and Pat's grandparents' place)....

Robert William Daw (my husband's grandfather) was listed in the 1949 Electoral Roll as living in Eugaree Street Southport.  This photo was taken a few years after that so I'm not sure if it's there or in Charlton Street where they eventually moved.

That would be Fay's arm supporting Robert.  We don't know the dog or the birds' names.

Here's a map of Southport on the Gold Coast. I've shown the distance from Eugaree Street to Charlton Street which is where my husband and his family grew up near TSS or The Southport School.  Gran and Father eventually bought a house across the road from my husband's parents.






Here's another photo.  This time of Gran Daw (nee Hinde) known as Dolly Daw.




Gran Daw aka Dorothy Grace Daw (nee Hinde)

No idea when it was taken or where.  


Father Daw (Robert William Daw) was a banana farmer at Nerang so maybe there, or more specifically Gilston,  given the banana fronds in the background.  Once again - no name for the dog.  And no millinery but it does look like a very smart jacket.  Gran Daw was a great seamstress and made all her grand-daughters clothes - I'm thinking with a treadle machine - probably no power out at Nerang in the early years.  We have lots of photos of the three sisters in new clobber courtesy of Gran - Patricia would always be in blue, Julie in pink and Kathleen in green.  

Dolly was the Secretary of the Gilston Ladies Club.  Here is an article describing the money raised for the war effort by the Club.

South Coast Bulletin, Friday 7 June 1940, courtesy of the National Library of Australia Trove website

Dolly was also founding Secretary of the Gilston CWA.



South Coast Bulletin, Wednesday 19th June 1946, courtesy of National Library of Australia Trove website.


Dolly became ill however and gradually had to relinquish her positions...

South Coast Bulletin, Wednesday 8th March 1944, courtesy of the National Library of Australia Trove Website

The Daws moved to Southport and a farewell was held for them from one of the many clubs of which they were members.

South Coast Bulletin, Wednesday 23 July 1947, courtesy of National Library of Australia Trove website.

So there's a bit of history for you.  Thanks Trove!

But for me the prompt photo shows exuberance.  And it's a trio.  

So I've made the next photo sepia - although it's not that old.  It's of Cas, Bel and our dear dog Jessie who passed this mortal coil a while ago now.  Gone but not forgotten.  I think everyone looks very happy here.  

And who wouldn't be chuffed to fly a kite on Straddie (Stradbroke Island)?  I think it was the first time Jessie had seen the sea...she barked and barked at those waves and made the children laugh.  



Cas, Jessie and Bel Daw on Straddie aka Minjerribah on the sand dunes of Main Beach.





Maybe Gran and Father Daw went to Straddie once too not so long ago with a friend as per this article from the South Coast Bulletin, Wednesday 13 February 1952....I'll have to ask Great Aunt Alice, their daughter, if she remembers...




For more exuberant photos of dogs, sailors, verandahs, millinery et al....go here.

Comments

Jofeath said…
The photo of Dolly and dog with banana palms is great, and I love how each granddaughter always received clothes made in a particular colour. I just finished making a summer dress with matching sun hat and doll's dress for my 3 year old English granddaughter and I could make a duplicate dress for her little cousin/my other granddaughter here in Australia because there is plenty of fabric left over. As they're not living in the same country they really don't need to be different 😀
Mike Brubaker said…
Such is the fate of dogs that their names are rarely preserved for posterity.
What do you suppose a "Monte Carlo dance war" was? Sounds dangerous.
ScotSue said…
An interesting combination of loved pets and aspects of your family history. My favourite is the photograph of Dolly Daw - she looks so elegant and reminds me of my mother and aunt who also made their clothes on a treadle machine as their House did not have electricity.
La Nightingail said…
A nice read through the life of a woman who was obviously dedicated to helping any way she could. My grandmother used to make me and my two younger sisters beautiful matching dresses for Easter and Christmas - sometimes matching in both design and patterned material; sometimes matching in design and type of material - such as dotted Swiss - but in different colors. Always looked-forward-to special treats! The last picture with the laughing boys on the beach with the dog is great!

Popular posts from this blog

31 Things to do in August for National Family History Month

NFHM Blogging Challenge - Week 1

Merry Month of May Movie Meme