W is for Wavy Navy



W is for the Wavy Navy


From The Oxford Companion to Ships and the Sea:

a colloquial term in the British Navy to describe officers and ratings of the reserves.  The term comes from the wavy stripes of gold braid which used to be worn on their sleeves by reserve officers as indications of rank - but is no longer applicable since, in 1956, the wavy stripes were abolished and reserve officers now wear the same rank insignia on their sleeves as active service officers. (p. 929)
Wavy Navy Tobacco (1950)

This is my contribution for the Blogging from A to Z challenge.  Short and sweet I hope.

Comments

Dianne said…
That's a catchy name, Wavy Navy. I read your post earlier, along with others, and no time to comment til now... and had that wavy navy in my head ever since. Thanks ;-)
diane b said…
I learn something every time I come here.
I think that the wavy stripes were pretty and the term is cool. :)

Have a blessed night!
Wendy said…
I am not sure I've ever heard Wavy Navy, but I remember when the women in the US Navy were Waves.

Popular posts from this blog

31 Things to do in August for National Family History Month

NFHM Blogging Challenge - Week 1

Merry Month of May Movie Meme